Located in the center of the Connecticut River between Haddam Neck and Haddam, this 14 acre state park was originally known as Thirty Mile Island. The original name was derived by early settlers who mistakenly thought that the island was 30 miles from the mouth of the Connecticut River at Saybrook. The original name of the settlement was known as Thirty Mile Island Plantation and when the Native Americans sold the land to the English in May of 1662 they reserved certain areas for their use including the island and 40 acres at Pattaquonk ( now Chester). By the end of the 18th century much of the island had been purchased by local Haddam residents from the descendants of the Native Americans. For many decades the island was one of the most valuable fishing stations on the river. In the 19th century two successful fishing companies operated from the island, one on the northern end and one on the southern end. Piers were constructed by sinking large amounts of stone which were brought across the river in the winter by oxen and piled on the ice. The island was also used for grazing cattle and growing corn.
Activities: Bird Watching, Boating, Fishing