The 355 acres of swamps and marshlands of Tinkers Creek State Park harbor a variety of natural wonders. Herons, ducks, geese and beaver can be found in the spring-fed waters, while cattail, buttonbush and swamp white oak line the shores of this beautiful park.
The region of Tinkers Creek before European settlement was extremely valuable to Native Americans. This area is one of the highest points of the state and lies near the watershed divide in Ohio. The nearby Cuyahoga River flows north to Lake Erie, while the Tuscarawas (through the Muskingum) drains to the Ohio River. This proved advantageous as transportation by canoe from Lake Erie to the Ohio River was possible with only one 8-mile overland portage. The old Indian portage path traveled from the Cuyahoga to the Tuscarawas. This area became an important trade center for both pioneers and Indians. Cheesemaking was one of the early industries of the area (which was often referred to as Cheesedom. Nearly as soon as the first settlers arrived did cheesemaking commence. By 1834, northeast Ohio cheese controlled the southern markets. Eventually, canal and rail transportation increased the area's importance.
In the years prior to the state's acquisition of the land, the area was a private park known as Colonial Spring Gardens. The park was situated around a 10-acre, man-made lake and offered recreational opportunities. The state of Ohio purchased the land in 1966, and in May 1973, Tinkers Creek was dedicated as a state park.
Amenities include a short trail, restrooms, shelter house, and archery range. Fishing and boating are permitted on the pond (carry-in boat access only).