William W. Powers State Recreation Area, located on Wolf Lake on Chicago's far southeast side at the Illinois-Indiana state line, offers opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy nature in the city for residents and visitors.
A 160-acre recreation area was acquired by the State of Illinois in 1947 and became known as the Wolf Lake State Recreation Area. Other acquisitions have now increased the area to 580 acres, of which 419 acres are water.
In 1965, the Illinois General Assembly approved changing the name of the site to honor the memory of William W. Powers, a former state legislator, who was well-known for his deep interest in the promotion of recreation for the residents of his district.
Wolf Lake provides outstanding fishing, with largemouth bass, northern pike, bluegill, redear sunfish, crappie, bullhead, carp, walleye, and hybrid muskie. About six miles of shoreline is available to bank fisherman.
Motors of any size are allowed (motors larger than 10 H.P. must operate at no-wake, idle speed).
Wolf Lake contains largemouth bass, northern pike, bluegill, redear sunfish, crappie, bullhead, carp, walleye, hybrid muskie, and yellow perch. About six miles of shoreline is available to bank fisherman.
The area is used for waterfowl hunting during the fall of the year. Hunting must be done from authorized blinds, which are allocated at a public drawing during the month of July. Unoccupied blinds are available on a daily basis. Consult the park ranger for information concerning hunting regulations and blind site locations.
The main picnic area is located south of the main entrance and parallels Avenue O. An ample quantity of tables and stoves are provided in shady spots beneath the many willow and cottonwood trees.
Ice fishing is permitted when conditions allow the ice to become thick enough. Please contact the park office for the most current information.